Websites having repeated content across various pages should provide an option also for keyboard or keyboard emulators to skip it.
2.4.1 Bypass Blocks: A mechanism is available to bypass blocks of content that are repeated on multiple Web pages. (Level A)
Why is it required?
Many websites tend to repeat content such as headers, navigational menus, advertisements, etc. across all their web pages to maintain a consistent view. However, the websites should provide options for keyboard or keyboard emulators to skip to main page content. This helps people with disabilities to arrive at the primary content of a page.
How do we fix it?
- Provide a ‘Skip to main content’ link at the top or beginning of all the pages on your website
- Provide links to jump to specific content on a large page
- Ensure that skip links clearly convey their destination
Mistakes to avoid
- Skip link provided fails to work in some supported browsers
- The skip link works only in keyboards but not in keyboard emulators