Accessibility in education can be described as the design and delivery of learning material that guarantees that supports all students to participate and accomplish their
What is Accessible Instructional Material (AIM)?
AIM is an accessible version of instructional materials provided to students with disabilities to help them understand the subject without barriers to learning.
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) is a federal law in the US. It takes care of early intervention, special education, and other related services provided to children with disabilities.
IDEA also states that students with disabilities should receive AIM at the same time as students receive textbooks.
What is NIMAS XML?
NIMAS stands for the National Instructional Materials Accessibility Standard. It is endorsed by the U.S. Department of Education as the standard for publishers to produce textbook files.
NIMAS files, after production, are sent to the National Instructional Materials Access Center (NIMAC) so that schools can access them.
Why is NIMAS XML Important?
- The purpose of NIMAS is to improve the availability and timely delivery of AIM to students with disabilities in elementary and secondary schools.
- The NIMAS format is important because multiple accessible outputs can be created from one XML.
- Large print, Braille, mp3, and HTML files can be produced from one input file.
- NIMAS is a nationally accepted standard for the creation of accessible digital textbooks.
- It eliminates the problem of receiving multiple formats for both educational institutes and end-users.
- It also helps to create consistent digital files and ensures the availability of hard copies in the digital file.
- Additionally, it has all the essential elements for the effective use of the digital-book files by the end-user.
Before NIMAS, it was difficult for publishers to decide the right output format for supporting accessible material for the classroom.
NIMAS not only eliminates that confusion but also ensures that all essential elements required for students with disabilities are available to its users.
If you are an educator or a publisher in need of converting your material into NIMAS, then you have landed at the right place.
AEL Data understands the importance of NIMAS for students and educational institutions. Therefore all the text and images received for XML conversion go through several processes of quality checks to ensure nothing is left behind.
Accessibility is the practice of making your e-learning content usable by everyone, regardless of their abilities or disabilities. It also benefits learners who face situational
Subtitles, often known as SubRip (SRT) files, are transcripts of the dialogue or audio in a video. They help to set the scene and make